Business and Finance
Social Security Disability Law
- File Your Application or Appeal Online
- http://www.ssa.gov/ Social Security Online
- www.ssa.gov/online/forms.html a link to commonly needed Social Security forms
- www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/ssa-hbk.htm an online version of the main text used by Local District Offices and State Agencies in deciding Social Security disability claims
- http://www.nosscr.org/ National Organization of Social Security Claimants Representatives. A professional organization which lobbies Congress on behalf of SSD claimants, and provides continuing legal education and networking for Social Security disability attorneys
- www.merck.com/mrkshared/mmanual/sections.jsp Merck Manual
- http://www.apa.org/ American Psychological Association
- http://www.psych.org/ American Psychiatric Association
- http://www.ama-assn.org/ American Medical Association
- http://www.nlm.nih.gov/ National Institute of Health’s National Library of Medicine
- http://www.anxieties.com/ excellent resource for information about treatment and support for people with all types of anxiety disorders
- http://www.depression-screening.org/ sponsored by the National Mental Health Association. Offers a confidential depression screening test online. Provides information on symptoms, treatments, and how to find help.
- iKidney.com – includes ask an expert, events, bulletin board, infocenter, kids’ corner, and more for patients, family members, and caregivers
- Neurology Channel – resource for Neurology-related consumer health care
- Heart Center Online – patient information, interactive tools, communities, products, and more
- Brain Disorders Network – sponsored by the National Foundation for Brain Research which supports research into all neurological, mental and addictive disorders
- Chronic Lung Disease Forum – discussion group for individuals with chronic lung disease and those who care about them.
- National Emphysema Foundation – provides resources related to the chronic lung disease
- Asthma-Help – features asthmatics diary, FAQs, discussion forum, and other links
- Healthfinder– provides consumers with easy access to online, accurate health information. From the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Fibromyalgia and CFS Basics an overview of both diseases, with helpful links
- http://www.eecm.org/ East End Cooperative Ministry, Inc. (EECM) is an interfaith coalition of 47 congregations, parishes and institutions united to serve human needs of Pittsburgh’s East End residents
- http://www.elfhcc.com/ The Mission of the East Liberty Family Health Care Center is to witness to God’s love, known in Jesus Christ, by offering quality, whole-person health care to all, especially the poor
- Allegheny East MH/MR Center, Inc., Wilkinsburg
- The Bradley Center, Inc., Swissvale
- Holy Family Institute, Swissvale
- Jewish Residential Services, Squirrel Hill
- Mon Yough Community Services, Inc., McKeesport
- Turtle Creek Valley MH/MR, Inc., Braddock
- http://www.actionhousing.org/ Action Housing
- http://www.hacp.org/ the Housing Authority of Pittsburgh attempts to provide decent, safe, and affordable housing to low income and elderly families in the City. HACP’s programs are administered through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).
- http://www.clearcorps.org Part of the AmeriCorps National Service Network, CLEARCorps Pittsburgh is dedicated to reducing the risk of lead poisoning for children living in low-income housing.
- http://www.pittsburghhabitat.org/ Pittsburgh Habitat for Humanity is one of the over 2,000 affiliates of Habitat for Humanity International, a non-profit Christian housing ministry in 89 countries, working to eliminate poverty housing from this world. Pittsburgh Habitat’s mission is the elimination of substandard housing in Allegheny County.
- http://www.hearth-bp.org/ Hearth (formerly North Hills Affordable Housing) operates Benedictine Place which is a unique program that offers transitional housing, empowerment, and support for homeless and displaced women with children.
- http://www.hscc-mvpc.org/ Mon Valley Providers Council’s Working Group on Housing offers a “Guide to Home Ownership” and helps sponsors several home-owning programs such as the Women-Headed Household Initiative of Southwestern PA (WHHI), and home owning education classes.
- http://www.patf.org/ Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force provides housing assistance to people living with HIV/AIDS.
- http://www.pittsburghproject.org/ The Pittsburgh Project, a neighborhood-based, Christian community development ministry that seeks to restore the city by developing the local community, rejuvenating its residents, developing leaders for its future, serving the poor, and building the kingdom of God .” It offers outreach, education, and leadership development among urban young people and their families: free home repairs for in-need city residents: summer short-term mission projects for high school students.
- http://www.ccpgh.org/locations.cfm?loc=Joseph&from=services&link=&dv= St. Joseph’s House of Hospitality and Maryhouse Residence for Women provides supportive housing and living assistance for limited income older adults over the age of fifty capable of independent living without regard to race or religion.
- Medical/Mental Health Treatment and Medical Insurance Issues
- The Alliance for Infants & Toddlers, Inc., Pittsburgh
- Craig Academy, Pittsburgh
- Family Resources, Pittsburgh
- Family Services of Western Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh
- Mercy Behavioral Health, Pittsburgh
- Pressley Ridge, Pittsburgh
- The Rankin Christian Center, Rankin
- Renewal Treatment, Inc., Pittsburgh
- Sojourner House, Inc., Pittsburgh
- Tadiso, Inc., Pittsburgh
- Transitional Services, Inc., Homestead
- UPMC Behavioral Health, Pittsburgh
- UMPC Southside Hospital, Pittsburgh
- Western Psychiatric Institute & Clinic, UPMC, Pittsburgh
- Zoar NewDay, Pittsburgh
- Allegheny County Department of Human Services, Pittsburgh
- Allegheny HealthChoices, Pittsburgh
- Community Care Behavioral Health Organization, Pittsburgh
- Mental Health Association of Allegheny County, Pittsburgh
- Value Behavioral Health of PA, Trafford
- Allegheny County Department of Human Services: Medical Assistance Transportation Program (MATP)
A brochure in .pdf format (requires Adobe Reader) explaining the Medical Assistance Transportation Program (MATP) that provides non-emergency medical transportation to Allegheny County residents of all ages for the purpose of receiving non-emergency medical services.
- Allegheny County Health Department
The Allegheny County Health Department offers clinics for immunizations, STD and HIV testing, child dental care and primary care.
- Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Supplemental Nutrition Program
- Healthy Start
a program of the Allegheny County Health Department, is designed to identify a broad range of community-driven strategies and interventions that reduce infant mortality and the incidences of low weight births.
- Operation Safety Net
a medical outreach service delivered by clinical volunteers to the street homeless population in the Greater Pittsburgh area.
- Rx Council of Western PA – provides emergency prescription assistance to Allegheny County residents on a low or fixed income.
- United Way of Pittsburgh/Allegheny County
- http://www.cmh.pitt.edu/ UPMC’s Center for Minority Health
Medical/Mental Health Treatment and Medical Insurance Issues-Other Counties
- Westmoreland Human Opportunities, Inc., Mt. Pleasant
- Westmoreland Regional Hospital, Greensburg
- Alternative Community Resource Program, Inc., Johnstown
- Children’s Aid Home Programs of Somerset County, Inc., Somerset
- Appalachia Intermediate Unit #8, Somerset
- Home Nursing Agency Community Services, Altoona
- Pyramid Healthcare, Inc., Altoona
- Blair County MH/MR/D&A, Hollidaysburg
- Adelphoi Village, Latrobe
- Gateway Rehabilitation Center, Aliquippa
- Achievement Center, Inc., Erie
- Barber National Institute, Erie
- Perseus House, Inc., Erie
- GECAC Drug & Alcohol Services Network, Erie
- Safe Harbor Behavioral Health, Erie
- Sarah A. Reed Children’s Center, Erie
- Stairways Behavioral Health, Erie
- Glade Run Lutheran Services, Zelienople
- Evergreen Elm, Inc., Bradford
- Human Services Center, New Castle
- Bethesda Children’s Home LSS, Meadville
- UPMC Horizon, Farrell
- Community Counseling Center of Mercer County, Hermitage
- ARC Manor, Kittanning
- Chartiers Mental Health and Retardation Center, Inc., Bridgeville
- Fayette County MH/MR, Uniontown
- Greene County Human Services Program, Waynesburg